Saturday, January 12, 2008

rooftop tennis and high-end stringing with roman prokes

First, find out what your hero wants. Then just follow him.
- Ray Bradbury

Getting ready to go to Vermont in a few hours to snowboard it up at Killington Mountain, but first, I thought I might tell you about an awesome interview I had earlier today...

For some time now, I have been working on an article featuring CityView Racquet Club, an exclusive indoor tennis and squash club that covers 80,000 square-feet of a building rooftop in Long Island City.

I first visited it several months ago when it was still under heavy construction, but even then, the place looked like it was going to be amazing. Today, I went back for the first time since that visit, and I was right - it was stunning. Growing up playing, loving, and breathing tennis, getting a chance to see such a beautiful indoor facility was really jaw-dropping (especially considering the fact that it was all built on a roof).

From the impeccable tennis (and squash) courts and top-of-the-line fitness equipment (yet to be installed, but if the setting that has been laid out for them is any indication, they will be as equally high-end) to the chic furnishings and relaxed lounge and cocktail areas, it has all the makings of an urban country club overlooking the city. Oh, and the views from the spas, saunas, 2nd-floor windows, and lounge will have you mesmerized while you sip on your pomegranate margarita, click through your e-mails via your laptop (thanks to full Wi-Fi service), catch some flat-screen TV goodness, and wait for your tennis opponent to be done with her massage.

Point is, the place is awesome, and to top it all off, it's going to have a Nike Concept Pro Shop - one of the few in the country. CityView has also joined up with RPNY Tennis, a company that offers the best in stringing and customization services and founded by Roman Prokes, stringer to the tennis stars and, as I learned earlier today, a great individual to interview.

It was one of those right-place-at-the-right-time moments, and before I had time to scarf down two mini sandwiches and several bites of Muenster cheese, Roman showed up at my table to talk, and I found myself engaged in a conversation about rackets, stringing, service, and professional tennis players who Roman has worked with (like Andre Agassi) and currently works with (like Andy Roddick and Maria Sharapova). The service he provides to the pros, he said, is the same type of quality care that his clients will receive at CityView. I even admitted to him that despite how long I've played tennis, I still draw a major blank when somebody at a pro shop asks me how tight I want them to string my racket or with what type of strings. He not only said he understood, but he said that most players are like that, and realizing that, his company's purpose is to take care of a player's racket to the point where he/she doesn't even think about it when match time comes around. A player's job is to play - leave the stringing up to the professionals.

I didn't say anything at the time, but when I make it to the US Open, I think it will be Roman and his crew who will be in charge of my racket upkeep =)

1 comment:

Ian said...

maybe my blog is my interview folder