Saturday, August 4, 2007

the police in town

Every little thing she does is magic...
- The Police

For the past several months, I've been thinking about The Police, and this past week, I finally got to meet them. Well, in a, "I see you over there" kind of way.

With monumental ticket prices that were scaring my wallet into hiding every time it heard my ticket guy utter them, I waited almost until the last day to buy them. It was Monday, and I secured tickets for Wednesday, opening night at Madison Square Garden. How much were tickets? Let's just say they were priceless and worth every penny.

I went with Alex, of course. What better than a belated birthday gift that puts you in the same arena with Sting & Co.? Dinner at Stout's - the bar 10 feet away from MSG where everyone was gearing up for the show with The Police on flat screen TVs - and we were ready.

Sitting in front of the stage, lower 300 section, it was amazing how many people were practically stuck to the ceiling, behind the stage. I'm pretty sure some people might have gotten tickets as far back as the bathrooms. So of course I was especially thrilled with our seats =) The crowd, for the most part, was older than us. In fact, so much younger must I have looked that when I offered to get another beer, I was carded and then denied a drink because I could not show ID. Not to mention I turn 23 in three weeks, so I was amused and slightly annoyed. The answer - I went and got Alex, and together we stared down the man and bought a beer... and a Sprite for me =P Note to self - always bring ID, even if you don't drink.

The show was amazing, and how it could not be, when they opened up with Message in a Bottle? Everyone was singing along, and I mean eeeeveryone. Just seeing everyone there was quite a sight, and considering how long we had waited for this show, it was almost surreal - like we weren't really there, and The Police really weren't playing... but they were, and after two hours of great music and two encores that rounded up all the other hits, it was over.

It was well worth the wait, and officially the first concert Alex and I have gone to that was for a band he actually really wanted to see.

Exciting. Memorable. Awesome.

Best show ever =)

No comments: