Friday, August 31, 2007

game, set, match, life

I let my racket do the talking. That's what I am all about, really. I just go out and win tennis matches.
- Pete Sampras

At 23 years old, I still plan on making it to the US Open one day. Not just like in section Y, seat 18, but in center court, Arthur Ashe.

In a game I've been playing since I was seven, and where the pros are all 18, I think I have a definite chance of raising a ruckus. But until then, I will have to be content with section Y, seat 18, and various other seats around the USTA grounds.

Two days this year - whoooo!! - and we got to see Henin, Williams, Haas, Safin, Roddick, and a host of something-or-other-ova's that make me think the Russians are staging an invasion via tennis courts (they're all 18, too, did I mention?).

As much fun as I have every year at the Open, there is still always this pestering sensation that I should have tried a long time ago to make it out there. Maybe strange that I should think that, considering that my profession and intended career paths are all in the arts.

Not so strange, I say, considering that of all the sports I've ever attempted, tennis has been the only one to really have an impact. For one, it's a solo event. If I win, I win. If I lose, I lose. I don't have to answer to anybody but myself. Secondly, well, it's a fun rush that I'm actually good at, somewhat, and that I've played my whole life.

So is it crazy to stand at the top of Arthur Ashe stadium, at 23 years old, never having played in a pro tournament, and envision myself playing in the court below?

Probably... but not impossible.

No comments: