Monday, December 8, 2008

a christmas carol

I write plays because dialogue is the most respectable way of contradicting myself.
- Tom Stoppard

For the past several months I have been working with St. George Productions on a staged, classic radio rendition of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, part of the company's Dickens Festival. Last month we did two performances in eastern Long Island at the Smithtown Historical Society, and just this past weekend we performed at Georgian Court University in Lakewood, NJ...only this time we did 18 shows, give or take a couple.

It was an absolute blast. We arrived Friday night and got situated in our home for the weekend - George Jay Gould and family's country estate mansion (their second residence), built in 1896. Beautifully preserved by the Sisters of Mercy, who inherited the estate after George Gould's death, it was like stepping back in time for a few nights. And for someone who has covered some of Long Island's historic estates and coordinated fashion shoots in several others, it was a real pleasure for me to see a remnant of the Gilded Age preserved so wonderfully. Plus, we got to stay in it, and I don't think I'll be saying that anytime soon about the Phipps mansion at Old Westbury Gardens. Not that I wouldn't want to, just that it might be illegal.

Here are some pictures from the weekend -

No comments: