Monday, June 30, 2008

two months, no excuses

You can't say, I won't write today because that excuse will extend into several days, then several months, then… you are not a writer anymore, just someone who dreams about being a writer.
- Dorothy C. Fontana

Prior to opening up the new lululemon store at Roosevelt Field, all the new educators have been doing goal setting workshops and examining what each of our goals are for the future - personal, professional, and health. I've always been a goal setter, to a dorky extent, so I'm always surprised to learn that a lot of people never think to set or reach goals, and that's exactly the point these workshops have been getting across. I don't think it was anything that was ever directly taught to me, just indirectly understood to be something you do and continue to do often. So the goal setting concept is nothing new to me, but it was an important refresher nonetheless. It's always good to have things emphasized and rearticulated, to get you back on track.

With that said, it's dawned on me that my writing pursuits have been dragging the past few months, smothered by a horrible case of writer's block/procrastination/fear/perfectionism. So it's time to get back on track. Here are my goals for the next two months -

1) Finish my book, from beginning to end. Begin and continue the revision process as the story moves along. Revision can continue beyond deadline, but I must keep reviewing while I work on a book deal. Keep up the momentum. Don't make excuses.
By when => 8-31-08

2) Launch VM. Organize. Delegate. Reach out. Publicize. Recruit. Write. Inspire.
By when => 8-31-08 (but earlier would be ideal) and beyond

So there you go. Now you know. If I ask to go to the movies, say no. If I want to hang out, say next time. If I want to relax, say get up. If I'm organizing my sock drawer, say you're onto me.

Then remind me to go write.

You know, that thing I do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ugh oh...I guess I'm not helping much. That's it! We can't hang out until after 8/31!!!! No more fun for you!