Friday, September 28, 2007

confined to a life more than extraordinary

Perhaps it would be better not to be a writer, but if you must, then write. If all feels hopeless, if that famous 'inspiration' will not come, write. If you are a genius, you'll make your own rules, but if not - and the odds are against it - go to your desk no matter what your mood, face the icy challenge of the paper - write.
- J. B. Priestly



What is it with people who need to categorize everything? What is it with the need to jam everything into a corner, box it up, label it, and file it away where it won't try to roll away when no one is looking?

I've said it before, but I feel it needs to be said again - everyone wants a definition and a name, one purpose and one goal, and if your job description wavers, well then there is a serious problem.

Lately, I have been finding it increasingly difficult to simply answer the questions, "What do you do? What is it that you want to do? Why are you going to graduate school? Why are you studying film?" Now, it's not that it's difficult for me. I am a writer, editor, actor, performer, and future director. It just seems to be straining on the person asking the questions.

"Oh, so then you don't know what you want to do?"

No. I know exactly what I want to do. I just told you.

"Yeah, but there's no job that you can do that all in. . . right?"

Oh my god. There isn't? Really? I had no idea. I was really hoping I could be a one-woman travelling act. Guess not. Thanks. No, really, thanks for that.

Unless of course, I just named too many things. Was that it? Did I confuse you? Do I sound like a hopeless dreamer with too many interests and who can't possibly pursue them all? Is that it?

Well, if that's it, then how about this: I am a filmmaker.

Does that work? That's one word you can wrap your head around.

I like to say I am a writer, though, if that's okay with you. Don't forget that I am also a performer. I live for the stage. Is that too much?

Not yet?

Okay, then, I'll tell you what - none of these things matter.

I want to be something more and every day is another step in reaching that something more. It is not that I am uneasy, it is only that I am eager and hungry and ready and thrilled to be here.

I will be amazing.

No, wait, I am amazing.

How's that for a one-word answer?

2 comments:

Ian said...

at one point in my life i had no idea where i was going, much worse than today, and there was nothing that i dreaded more than family affairs, knowing that every family member would ask me, so what are u doing with yourself, the embarressment and agony of doing nothing, and not knowing how to change it, or how u got there, thank god im out of that----u ever read the artists way?

AllBodiesRise said...

When they ask you what you do, say "I do amazing."