Thursday, June 21, 2007

e-mails and my health

The act of writing is an act of optimism. You would not take the trouble to do it if you felt it didn't matter.
- Edward Albee

Contrary to what some people might think, I don’t write e-mails for my own enjoyment, I don’t write them because I am bored, and I most certainly do not write them because they make me feel better.

Rather, I write e-mails because there is something that I am trying to convey to another person, and in that respect, I expect to get e-mails in response.

Does it happen? Sometimes – but considering the simplicity of sending e-mails, that’s not often enough.

The worst is when you send someone an e-mail for work-related matters, for instance, and you don’t get a response. So maybe you’ll give it a few days, factor in that they’re probably busy with other pressing matters, but by the third day, you need to call to find out what happened.

Sure enough, not only did the person read the e-mail, but they also knew the answer to your question, answered it, and took the e-mail off their to-do list… only problem is they never told you!!

Or let’s see you e-mail a friend, and two – three weeks go by without a response. Maybe something happened, maybe they don’t want to talk, maybe your e-mail insulted their mother.

All these things go through your head, and then one day, you see them, and you mention The E-mail.

What does said person say? “Oh yeah, I read it… that’s sounds like a good idea.”

Oh my god!!

E-mails aren’t phone calls, people. I admit, my phone etiquette is not winning any awards, but I've never, ever enjoyed talking on the phone. When I was in middle school, I remember my best friend calling me one day after school "to talk" - a concept that baffled me considering I had seen him only a few hours earlier and would see him the next day. Unless friends were calling me with specific questions, plans, agendas, answers, I didn't see the point.

Many years later, I've learn to adapt somewhat socially, and now I can talk on the phone with relatively feigned ease. I've been known to return phone calls now and then. Imagine that.

Just about the only people I call back on a consistent basis are Alex, my sisters, and my parents.

Those also happen to be the same people that I don’t usually send pressing e-mails, too. So therefore, I have to speak with them on the phone. They're also the only people who would probably erupt in a panic if they didn't hear from me for more than a day. So necessity dictates, for everyone's well-being, that I have to call them back. Plus, I like them, so that helps.

Conclusion – if you don’t e-mail me back within an acceptable timeframe (one week is generous, but I’ll give you two weeks at most), you’re going on my list.

1 comment:

Ian said...

haha, i was gonna say you never returned one of my phone calls, but that issue has been addressed, your not off my list, but not completely on it